3 Beginner Scrolls

These scrolls were my first attempts.  Done somewhere at the end of 2002 beginning of 2003.  I've included the original write ups from my old webpage for posterity.

Celtic Blank Scroll
This is my first attempt at scroll layout and using gouache. It is done on Bristol Board vellum, outlined in archival black ink and is based mostly on fantasy. I learned that I need to add more water to make the gouache work better and that I need to leave a bigger border when I start the layout. I've never handed this one in - maybe someday if my daughter gets a Tyger's Cub, I'll finish it and give it to her.


Closeup of the letter B

Closeup of the peacock

Kotwork Cat Scroll
I did this scroll after Katherine Stanhope introduced me to her method of doing Celtic knotwork. I took it a step farther and tried to copy a border from the Book of Durrow - I now know I needed a bigger board at this size enlargement so the knotwork is not quite right. It is done on Bristol Board vellum, outlined in archival black ink and painted with Winsor & Newton gouache. The idea is based on the Book of Durrow - the cat is mostly fantasy (as cats are evil in Celtic mythology). It's unfinished because it annoys me to know the border isn't exactly right. I used the cat to get used to using guoache in large spaces (it still needs another coat).

Knotwork border based on the Book of Durrow

Book of Durrow Folio 84 Verso
The outline of the scroll is based on this folio

Cat inspired by on of Dover's Coloring Books

Viking Yale Scroll
This is another practice scroll. The Yale is a Barony of Dragonship Haven award for service. This scroll is for my husband (FYI - the Barony doesn't give out scrolls). It is unfinished because he pointed out to me that it would never get signed (bad politics) and I got frustrated (you can still see where the names are penciled in). I really do like the Yale though. It is done on Bristol Board vellum, outlined in archival black ink and is based mostly on fantasy.

It's harder to balance the runes than I thought it would be.
Especially when writing "the Barony of Dragonship Haven"

Comments