Liangzhu Culture Axe C. 3200-2000 BCE

Background:
Axes carved of jade appeared during the Liangzhu period (c. 3200-2000 BCE) and had become larger and flatter than their stone predecessors. The many jade axes found at Liangzhu sites vary considerably in size and proportion, but all have a thin, flat blade, one or two perforations near the butt, and a curved cutting edge beveled on both sides. Found exclusively in large and richly furnished tombs - generally one to a tomb. The handles, made of wood or other organic material, have rarely survived.  See footnote 1.

The example from the exhibition on display in 2000 (fig. 1) is carved from a cream-colored nephrite fretted with white veins and brown speckles and two straight sides, all gently and thinly beveled. Two drilled holes pierce the axe’s butt, the larger of them bored from both sides, as evidenced by a small ridge in the aperture. The surface of the blade is polished to a glossy luster, while the butt in unfinished. Many of the axes found have cracks and ships along their edges, suggesting that they were in fact used as implements. The two haft fittings in the photo were excavated along with the axe blade. The drawing by D. Chaffe (fig. 2) is a reconstruction of the axe and fitting.  See footnote 2.

Materials:
Period materials would have included jade nephrite, jadeite, soapstone, marble, serpentine and many other jade nephrite look-a-likes. For economic reasons, I chose to use green soapstone. The wood is a fruitwood from one of our neighbor’s fruit trees.

Construction:
I started by making the axe head. I hand cut the head from a large piece of soapstone to the thickness I wanted, then I started hand sanding down the blade edge. This took quite some time, so I 'cheated' and used a bandsaw. After finishing the blade, my daughter smashed it against our concrete steps and chipped the blade edge. After a number of attempts to redo the blade edge without completely distorting the blade, I left it as you see it. I drilled the holes using a power drill (I don't own a hand drill). I finished it by coating it with almond oil. Based on lack of carving skills, I chose not to attempt the top and bottom fittings at this time.

The wood for the handle came from a fruit tree in my neighbor's yard. I shaved it down and made the handle comfortable to my hand. I did use the belt sander to finish the top and bottom of the handle and make them flat. I started by trying to carve a hole in the handle for the back of the blade to rest in. This was a hit and miss process and required numerous fittings. I then drilled the holes to match the blade - as you can see I missed one spot and have not plugged it yet. After finishing the handle by sanding with finer grades of sand paper, I rubbed it with almond oil.

The next step was to attach the blade to the handle. It was very difficult to thread the thong through the handle and blade and I could not figure out where or how to tie it off. I realized you wouldn't want the knot on the side or the back of the handle where it could be easily broken, yet I couldn't get it tied and stuffed at the top or the bottom of the blade by tying it between the holes. My reasoning for doing this was that the knot might also serve to keep the blade tighter in the handle. I have tied it on the side for now and am hoping to eventually replace the thong with sinew rope that bites on itslef better to hold a better knot that the thong.

Notes:
A problem I found with using soapstone is that the marks from sanding wouldn't disappear completely. It has been suggested that I try a finer grit sand paper and/or try sanding it with/under water. I will let you know once I have tried either of these of my success.

I also had some difficulty with making the handle. First, the wood hadn’t properly aged making it difficult to strip and shape. Then I misaligned the hole on one side where I was attaching the blade (see the pictures). At some point I would like to go back and redo the handle and make haft fittings, perhaps even staining the handle to hide my burn marks from the belt sander.



Footnotes and Bibliography:
1,2 Yang, Xiaoneng, editor. The Golden Age of Chinese Archaeology Celebrated Discoveries from the People’s Republic of China. National Gallery of Art, Washington. 1999. Pages 124-125.

FIGURE 1

FIGURE 2

Chinese Axe Blade from soapstone
Dropped and chipped by my daughter after I finished it

Repaired blade and wooden handle
Blade is green soapstone to imitate jade and the handle is a fruit wood (hard)

Side of blade and handle
The blade will be held on with a leather cord lashed through the holes

Another view - still unfinished
Carving out the handle to fit is an on-going process

Full axe with head attached to handle

Note extra hole where I miscalculated

Looking down the handle to the head

Looking at the top of the handle and axe head

I used leather to attach the handle to the blade



Comments