Catherine of Cleves

Master Padraig OSC
This is my second official scroll for the East Kingdom (awarded 6/21/03) and my first collaboration. I completed the illumination - the calligraphy is by Baroness Michel Almond de Champagne, Mistress of the Laurel. The scroll is based on a folio from The Hours of Catherine of Cleves. It is done on Arches paper with Winsor & Newton gouache. I just love this scroll. I did eliminate the cross on the middle right and replace it with the Northern Army banner, but otherwise stayed true to the original border.

 The red and gold gouache are done.  
I was scared to move on from here.

The side pieces are done.
I have to do the knotwork yet.

Starting the orange.
Yes. The original is orange.

The finished piece of illumination.
It's still my favorite piece.

Finished piece with the calligraphy.
I'd work with Michel again anytime!

The Hours of Catherine of Cleves Plate 96
15th Century


Comments