Collaboration Piece - 12th Century Cistern Abby

Erik von Welzen AoA
This East Kingdom scroll was awarded 4/3/04. The scroll is a "collaboration" effort. The illumination was done by Lady Ding Li Ying and Merewyn Atte Greenwode based on a 12th Century Book of the Cistern Abby. The scroll blank was given to Mistress Michel for later use. I was given the blank with some words done by Lord Rhodri Ewias and assigned the task of being a "field scribe" (scribing on the fly) during a "lesson" at Michel's. I looked in the calligraphy books for a hand that would match the scroll and my limited calligraphy skills and choose Rotunda. After practicing the alphabet once, I went to work and this is the result. The calligraphy was done using a dip pen and Higgins Eternal Ink. Next time I do this, I will grid the entire page instead of trying to match once I got used to the grid.

Had to make room for use as an AoA.

Comments