Copper Repousse and Enameling

Background:
After attending Master Henry MacQueen's class on copper repousse at the EKU on 2/19/05, I jumped right into enjoying this new artform. This is some pics of my work and a small "how-to" based on the class that I will be expanding on as I continue to learn.

Researching cpper repusse and enameling is proving slightly difficult. I know I have seen examples on sword scabards, boxes and and architechture for the repousse, but the enameling is proving more difficult.

Materials:
Copper and tools to push it around. Once I have purchased the metal enamel, I will report on that.

Notes:
The repousse is fairly easy and the copper is very forgiving of mistakes. You do need to be careful not to punch holes in it. Using 2-part epoxy instead of pitch (as used in period) appears to be working. When I do a smaller piece, I may try to fill it with tin solder. I have not yet enameled the pieces destined for that.

First piece - a jackrabbit made in Master Henry's class (after epoxy).

View of front of the finished piece
The 3-D effects are harder to see in a photo - still needs final polish and shine

Second piece - the artwork the crab came from.
Taken from a Dover Book on period woodcuts.

View of front of the finished piece
The 3-D effects are harder to see in a photo - still needs final polish and shine

View of the back of the finished piece (after epoxy)

Third piece - the artwork the OSC came from.
This is an East Kingdom Award

View of front of the finished piece
This piece has been completely pushed in except the ridges for enameling

View of the back of the piece ready for enameling

Enameled Order of the Silver Crescent Medallion

Third piece - the artwork the OSC came from.
This is an East Kingdom Award


I made the etchings deeper as this piece will be enameled


Next step is to flip the piece with the right side up and slowly push down around the outside of the raised lines to give them definition.

Next you start depressing the areas you want in the back from the front and the stuff you want to come forward (3-D) on the front from the back.

Now I would start to bring the background forward from the back - however I want to enamel this piece so I won't.

Front of the piece ready for enameling

The back of the piece ready for enameling

Enameled Order of the Maunche Medallion


Fifth piece - OTC started by Baron Osgkar. (This is an East Kingdom Award)
Needs more definition as one tyger will be raised and the other sunk.


Comments