NA Smack Book

Background:
Selena was asked by HRM Svava to compile the smack related to Durick. She was gonna print and staple. No, said I, I can bind it. And it got more complicated from there.

MATERIALS:
I used a piece of leather I had bought over the internet for scrolls. It is a little thick for scrolls, a little thin (in places) for gloves, but makes a nice weight for a flexible book cover. I used acid-free paper, linen thread, and acid free book glue. I also used thin metal and pearls for the cover.

PROCESS: Materials: I started out by figuring out the layout to make 2 signatures to give the book some thickness. This made printing it interesting to say the least. After printing and folding folding the paper into folios, then nesting them to make the signatures, I then sewed the signatures together with linen thread to form the bookblock.

I then made the bookcover. I started cutting the bookboards slightly larger than the bookblock and then laid it all down to measure it. I made a bookcloth spine and then cut the leather to size. I then glued the stainless steel repousse piece on and the binding. After they dried, I glues the leather pieces on cutting out the area where the NA Star was.

I then completed assembling the book by testing the bookblock and then glueing the front and rear pages in, smoothing them down as I went.

Then came the realization that not only when my daughter had spilled my glue and not told me (yes, I had to redo some pieces), she had knocked the NA Star off center. That was put on with epoxy - it is not moving. So, that is why the NA Star is slightly canted and my daughter watched no TV tonight....

The completed book block

A peak at the title page

A view of the cover

Another view of the cover

Comments