Dziuginte Litovka Pelican Peerage Shawl

Background:
Mistress Dziuginte Litovka was elevated to the Order of the Pelican on 1/7/12. DZ's persona is 14th Century Lithuanian and a shawl is more appropriate for her persona than a cloak. This was a last minute rush (less than a month - around the Christmas holidays) and though I wanted to embroider it more and hand sew the embroidery on, I ran out of time (I forgot how time consuming hand embroidery was) and wound up using a machine to sew it on and I hate how it turned out. The shawl is wool, the embroidery thread is wool and the embroidery was done free-style.

So based on this:
I came up with this design:

My daughter is modeling it with it draped across the front.  Someone else is acquiring the brooches and necklace strands for the recipient so it can be worn in a more period style. 

Some closeups of my less than spectacular needlework.  It looks better than the machine sewn decorative stitch I tried to add when I ran out of time to hand sew the border on:



 I would have loved to keep repeating the pattern across the whole bottom, but there was a time crunch (ask me in person about that).  I am not the quickest embroiderer - each one of those flower/snakes took me two hours!  So I wound up with 3 unadorned pelicans on each side between the 2 corner ones adorned with her badge.  So yeah, needed a lot more lead time.  I'm still counting it towards the A&S 50 challenge!

The recipient at her elevation.


This is a limp bound book I made a while ago.  It was used as the vigil sign-in book, so I got to sign it first!  This, however, doesn't count :(











Comments