Sttiches East - Faire Isle Knitting

Saturday 11/9/13
In the afternoon I took Fearless Fair Isle Knitting with Sandi Rosner.  This was one crazy class.  She'd suddenly remember little hints and we'd be too far along to go back and fix it "just remember for next time".  Things like carrying the yarn no more than 4 spaces without catching it or which hand holds the dominate yarn (mine was in the wrong hand the entire hat).  She did make us try 3 different ways of holding the yarn (3 strands) and unlike with double knit where it was more comfortable with both in my right hand, I actually liked having 1 color in each hand better by the end of the 3 hours.  When I cast off the headband, it was obvious my fist rows were much loser than my end product - Sandi suggested I use a larger needle for the Fair Isle part next time.  To "fix" this issue, I went back to the side I started from and picked up the # of stitches needed to make it into a hat and went from there.  You can tell that the white has an issue (the stitches I picked up), but I also had an issue when I got towards the end and didn't have any DPNs that were even close in size to finish, so it looked sloppy.  Not a bad first attempt, but not anywhere near what I'd like it to look like.  4 hours to do this.


Side view.  Some people made a headband - just left the top off.

Inside with my "carries"

Looking at the top


Another "side" view



Notes for next year: 
Get parking passes at check in - it saves on the parking cost.
Stick around for Thursday Night Market Opening
Bring books for teachers to sign.
Signing up the day classes were posted guaranteed me some of the better classes.

Comments