Christmas Afghan

I started this in December 2013 and finished December 29, 2014.  Still haven't finished, I finished!  I wanted a better way to keep track of the blocks and the patterns as Ravelry doesn't do as good a job.  So I will be updating this as I go along - unfortunately they are not in the order I did them.  This is going to get very long with 45 blocks...

Bernat Happy Holidays Crochet Afghan
Added the last white and green rounds to get to size. trying to honor the original design.

Crochet Austrian Sleigh Robe by Michele Thompson
Needed to make the square bigger, so I used the border pattern around the original square.  The border pattern is the popcorns.

Holiday Ornament Afghan Square by Julie Yeager
The MUST be blocked!  Came out beautiful though!  Had a little trouble keeping it to size!

Christmas Granny Afghan by Katherine Eng
Added from the green SC on to get it to size.  

Peppermint Coaster by Wendy Bennett
Just added a border around the coaster  Went a little bigger with the chains, that's why it looks so leggy.

Can't find the link for this one.  
I remember having trouble with the X's   Little did I know that there is a neater way to do them.  Added from the white sing;le crochet out to get it to size.

Holiday Delight Afghan by Maggie Weldon
This was crazy busy and then suddenly you have a wreath!  The original has some very beautiful lace work that I didn't have room for in my square - check it out!

SmoothFox's Christmas Granny
I added a row of white with some popcorn to bring it to size and red to finish it off.

Icy Snowflake Throw by Red Heart
Starting out with a big white blob then defining it with the green.  I like the blue background they use better.

Snowflake Afghan by Art of Tangle
Working all that white and thinking whaaaat?  My blob doesn't look anything like her snowflakes.  In the end, I guess it does.  

Row Count Christmas Tree Afghan Square by Lisa of Crochet 'N' More
First time doing color changes mid row and I am sooooo not a fan of row counting and/or changing colors.  Took me a few searches to find a way to try and make it look neat.  Bah humbug!

Granny's Noel Throw by Katherine Eng
These blocks are 10" so I had to leave some rounds off.  Still like it.

AI 6" Square by Aurora Suominen and Ivory Herman
The original is all one color and gorgeous.  I may have lost some of the detail by changing colors.  It also really needs to be blocked.  Had to add rows to get to 8" and tried to stay with the theme.

Christmas Afghan Square by Lisa of Crochet 'N' More
Had to add rows to get to size, but this was very cool to make!  Learned some new stitches here that really helped with future squares.  

Jingle Bell Stockings by Agnes Russell
Turned the octagon into a square - took some fudging, but loved the center and think it was worth it.  The white on out is my own design, the center green is from the pattern.

Holiday Star Afghan by Mary Lamb Becker
The afghan is one HUGE piece (similar to the background).  I had to mess around with the stitches until I got a piece that was the right size.  Then I made the star and attached it like she does on the original.  

Angel Afghan by Kim Guzman
Had to add a row to get to size.  Hard to see the angel in the center in this pic, but there is a bobble for her head at the top and the rest are her wings and dress.  Having had a little more experience now, I would've brought the the green in to accent the wings and dress.

Christmas Poinsettia Afghan by Rosetta Harshman
Did NOT realize what I was getting into as the picture looked FLAT!  Thought I was a little nuts trying to follow the pattern but I think it came out good!  Stopped at size.

Holiday Balls Throw by Ann Regis
This was wild fun working up.  Had no idea what I was going to get as the pic on the website is not that great.  Added the last white and green rounds to get to size.  Love this square.  May use the border on the afghan as my final border.

Lion Brand Home for the Holidays Afghan
The actual squares are only the first three rows.  Turned it into a regular old granny square to get the size needed.  Kind of a boring afghan but would be a great beginner project.

Holiday Hearts Throw by Ann Regis
Mu square came out a little small so I added the 2 open rows.  A little difficult to follow, but once I got the idea, the heart came out much better.  Love the full afghan.

Holly Square Dishcloth by Maggie Weldon
Left off the last round to keep it to 8"  Need a better photo - there's 3-D berries that you make first (popcorn) and some wild green leaves that really had me second-guessing myself.  The X stitching in the white was also new for me.  Loved this one.  There 's a great pic of one on her website.

Windows Afghan by Delma Myers
Only did the initial small squares (white), followed by the green rows before starting the red center to make it to size.  The original pattern makes a 12" square and includes a complete box around the box.  I added a bow to the center because it looked like a holiday package to me when I first saw it and that's what I wanted the final product to resemble.

Holiday Squares Afghan
This was the small square - added 2 more rounds to get it to 8"

North Pole Blanket by Katherine Eng
From November-December 2012 Crochet Today
Added rows to get to 8" (pattern stopped at first green round)

North Pole Blanket by Katherine Eng
From November-December 2012 Crochet Today
Added rows to get to 8" (pattern stopped at first redround)

Poinsettia Afghan by Dawn Cogger
From November-December 2012 Crochet Today
Left off final rounds of green

Raspberries and Cream by Janie Herrin
Didn't do the last 2 rows of white and improvised the red drops and border.

Easy Grid Lace Scarf by Amy Solovay
Made it 26 stitches wide - should've started with white - probably won't show in the final afghan.

Ho Ho Holiday Afghan by Roseanna Beck
Added the green border to get it up to size.  The original is all one color.


 Checkerboard Afghan Square by Amy Solovay
Instead of 5X5 I did 6X6 to get the 8" square.  I don't like how the colors show through with carrying the yarn.  Live and learn.

Easy Ripple Afghan by SusanB
Just made a smaller version to match my squares.  We'll see what happens when I try to sew it in - I may need to build it into a square so it maintains the ripple.
Christmas Tree
I saw this Christmas Tree Garland by the Prairie Cottage on Etsy
It was pretty easy to make from the pic.  Then I made a granny square, appliqued the tree on and added some TC bobbles and done!

Lacy Stars Afghan by Jennifer Christiansen McClain
Had to stop at 8" as the square she designed is 12" - missed out on a cool edging.


Oh no!  A duplicate!  Was bound to happen!
SmoothFox's Christmas Granny
With edging from Lacy Stars Afghan by Jennifer Christiansen McClain

Snowman
Took my idea from this picture: 
Pretty much free formed the scarf and added some detail to make it appear like a snowman.  The square itself is just double crochet with a row of HDC, DC, then SC to bring it back out to the "correct" number of stitches to make an edging.


This was from a picture I found when searching for snowmen. 
Made the one on the left in the pic in the link - was pretty easy to replicate from the picture

Red Flower Square by Melanie Stiles
http://kaleidesigns.com/crochet/patterns/archive/gran012.html
Added a second row of DC and left off the row of SC to get the right size.

SmoothFox Christmas Cheer Candy Cane by Donna Mason-Svara
file:///E:/Hard%20Drive/A&S/A&S%20-%20Crocheting/Christmas/SmoothFox_Christmas_Cheer_Candy_Cane.pdf
Had to add 4 rows of DC to get right size

SmoothFox Christmas Cheer Bell by Donna Mason-Svara
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/christmas-cheer-bell

Christmas Bell Coaster by Birgit Tüchsen
http://bynumber19.com/2011/12/08/christmas-bell-coaster-free-crochet-pattern/

SmoothFox’s Christmas Cheer Peace Sign by Donna Mason-Svara
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/christmas-cheer-peace-sign

Santa Hat Garland by Megen Porter
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/santa-hat-garland


Row Count Dove Afghan Square by Crochet 'N' More
http://www.crochetnmore.com/rowcountdoveaghansquare.htm

Candle Square designed by Ann Straut
No link - just made it up ;-)

4/4/14: SO I HAVE 45 SQUARES AND CROSSED THAT FINISH LINE!!!!

And no, I will NOT be blocking these!

Oh wait, now I have to sew them together....  To sew or crochet or sew or crochet and what about a border?  Oiy vey....  All I know is I need at least 1 or 2 more skeins of the green so I can do either...  Yarn trip!

OK, this sat on the back burner for a while.  I started to JAYGo it together, got 3 rows in and realized I put a square in upside down.  Then my life fell apart as we moved.  I took this back out December 2014 and here is the final result,  The border is #39 from Edie Eckmans "Around the Corner Crochet Borders"


C'est fini!


Comments