Braided Corner Granny Square

I saw a beautiful blanket made with this granny square and was intrigued.  The original pattern is no longer available (figures) but I found one here: http://busybeepreschoolblog.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/braided-corner-granny-square-afghan-tutorial/

I had trouble in a few spots, so here are her notes with what I did (so I can make more).

Supplies: Get several HUGE skeins of black yarn –  light and variegated coordinating colors – Hook US 19 or 5.50 mm  I used Red Heart Yarns (leftovers) and an I hook.  This produced a 6" square for me.

Step 1: Chain 6 in black yarn and fasten with a slip stitch to create a circle.  I don't really like the huge hole this produces in the center.  I think I would either use a magic circle or less chain stitches.

Info for each step: To begin each dc group, ch 3 as the first one* .  Complete each round with a sl st

Row 1: Hold circle, Going inside the circle  3*dc, ch 10, fasten with a sc in the first st of the 10, repeat 3 more times to have 4 loops and 4-3 dc groups. see below  So, chain 3, 2DC, chain 10, I think I'd fasten with a slip stitch instead of a SC, 3DC, CHain 10, fasten, until you have 12 DC and 4 chain 10 loops.

Row 2: light color yarn. * 3 dc in the space to the left of the ch 10, ch 1,  3 dc in the space at the right of the ch 10, chain 10 and fasten.  Repeat from * 3 more times around the square.  I used pink.  So we have 6DC, 4 chain 1 spaces and 4 chain 10 loops

Row 3: variegated yarn: *3 dc in space next to ch 10, 3 dc in ch 1 space, 3 dc in space next to ch 10.  Repeat 3 more times from * around the square  I used white.  So now we have 9DC, a chain 10 loop times 4.  So far our math is the same.

Row 4: Black yarn for the last 2 rows.  Dc in every st to the corner. 2 dc in space before chain 10, ch 3, 2 dc in space next to chain 10, repeat around. This black row should have 12 total stitches. 2 dc in each corner and 8 dc in between  So, if I have 2DC in the first stitch (or in the space next to the chain) and a DC in every stitch, I either have 11 stitches or 13 stitches.  Not 12.  Unless you DC BETWEEN each stitch.  So there's 8 spaces between stitches with 2 on each end - this would give you 12 (I just realized this is probably what she meant to say).  I just did 2DC then DC in each stitch (7 total), then 2DC for 11DC then the ch3 in the corner.  

You should really braid the corners now instead of trying to braid them when you get to them.  Pull the pink through the black, then the white through the pink.  Don't work about the ch3 from row 4 yet.

Row 5: ch 2 , hdc in each dc, 2 dc in space before ch 10 loops, braid the ch 10 loops, tr into ch 10  loop and the black ch 3, ch 3, tr in same space, 2 dc in space next to chain 10. hdc in each of the dc. Repeat around square, each side should have 17 total stitches, 1 tr and 2 dc in each corner and 11 hdc between  Since I didn't work the last row to have an even number - this throws the idea of doing HDCs out the window (I didn't like how it looked anyway).  So I just did 2DC in the first stitch, DC in each stitch to last stitch and 2DC (13DC total), tr ch3 tr and repeat.  I just held the whitech10  loop in front of the black ch3 and tr.  It looks OK.

Layout squares and whip stitch together.  There are several great tutorials for this on You Tube.

go back and learn the edge stitching.  

I will decide how to put it together and edge it when I get back to this.  I think this would rock with more repeats before finishing to give it a longer braid.

Comments