Fused Ornament Class

I took a fused class class at The Glass Source in Seymour.   They have bins of glass, you pick pieces, cut, grind, glue and maybe use some frit (tiny pieces of glass) or stringers (long thin pieces of glass) and make pictures to hang.  I had a good time and learned some cutting techniques.  Circles are not easy.  The shop fires the pieces for you, so you have no idea if they will survive the transfer to the kiln in the way you put the piece together. 

 
My glued pieces waiting to be fired.







The glued pieces are on the left and the finished / fired pieces are on the right.

The dichroic moon turned black.  A learning lesson on what glass colors to put on top of others.






 My "nipped" pile of pieces on the left.  Just random cuts.  I piled them on top of each other not thinking about the branches should be sweeping down :)
                                                            The finished abstract tree.



 A simplistic tree.  The star would not survive the kiln.  The glass should have turned canary yellow.  Another lesson.

The pieces are large frit just dropped on.  I would up adding a wire wrap to get a star on and make it look festive.  I used beads from one of my workshops to make the trunk.

This was a last minute OMG I have 5 minutes to make my last ornament thing.  I liked the dichroic glass, kept it simple and used stringers for the black lines.  It's kind of cool in the light.
 I fell in LOVE with this purple piece of dichroic glass.  I kept it simple so it would show.  The lump in the center is how they add the hangers.  You can see the frit I used for snow blended in.
The finished pieces

Comments