Protege Belt

I was approached and accepted a new protege.  I mulled over a belt.  Leather?  Fabric?  Should it have my arms? The reipient wanted it to reflect me, but I wanted it to go with most of her garb (my persona is 200BC so it probable would’ve just been a strip of fabric or a tattoo).

So what could I do with one color?  I started perusing my pattern books, but there’s not a lot of good monohrome patterns.  I considered trying missed hole, but I didn’t want to hate myself and have no time to work on my daughter’s dress.  Then I found an alternate pattern that looked like knitting.  I saw that when you reversed to get the twist out, you get this neat shot of color.  Now i needed a second color.  My arms have green and purple - both not really a great idea.  The blue I had was a different thickness, but the black looked smart.  So I did one black and one green as a nod to her Laurel and used a black weft.

The pattern is available on pages 60-61 of “Card Weaving” by Candace Crockett.  I used Schachenmayer Baby Smiles cotton color 1022 (yellow), Aunt Lydia’s Fashion 3 in black, and Aunt Lydia’s Classic 10 cotton in Forest Green.  The hardware was purchased from Raymond’s Quiet Press and is a Y-71Y03 12th Century belt set with floral pattern.  I used 20 cards because it could only be 1” wide to accomodate the hardware.  I wove until it was 69” then folded the ends over to sew them under.  The finished belt is 67-1/4’ tip to tip.


The twist from 1 set (7 sets of Vs)

The cool floats created by reversing direction. 

Changing the weft thread

The finished belt 

The finished belt





Comments