Norse Age Beading

 Pennsic Class taught by Ash Daevin of Atlantia

Instructor considered how most Norse or Viking necklaces would be strung on wire weaving, but not everyone was fortunate enough to be able to own such a thing and might've used some sort of string instead.  Since pearl knotting is as old as Viking necklaces and trade was a thing, they might have used sinew or wax string with knots between the beads to keep them all from falling off if/when the beads cut through the string.  An interesting concept.

Anyway, we each grabbed enough beads to make a necklace and proceeded to tie knots - was fairly simple and good practice should I ever want to tie some pearls.

Our instructor and some the lovely block printed cloths they made.

So we started the first end with a larks head knot and then made knots between each bead.  I was going to be short string to finish so bought 0.5mm sinew just as the instructor had and whoops!  Definitely NOT the same thickness!  I wound up doubling the new string.  I just tied it on, ran it with the old string and made knots through 2-3 beads and then cut the old string off.

My finished necklace.  Might wind up as largess.  I do like it, I'd rather make one from beads I made.  






Comments